Tuesday 18 April 2017

National Fencing Championships - Sport Rehabilitation support from Plymouth Marjon University

On Saturday 15th April and Sunday 16th April 2017, the International Fencing Tournament was held at the University of Birmingham.

Two of our Sports Therapy and Sport Rehabilitation students were invited to form part of the Soft Tissue Therapy team by Herman Fenton, Vice President of the Federation of Holistic Therapists.

First year Rehabilitation in Sport and Exercise student, Becky Jacob-Harris (@RJacobHarris) describes her experiences of being selected from a large pool of students to work at this event.



When I received an email titled ‘High Profile Placement Opportunity’ I was immediately intrigued.
First thought – Open to first-year students?

Inquisitive email sent... the reply read ‘Yes, all three years.’ BOOM!

So, in went the CV and cover letter, not really expecting a positive response, but fingers crossed, aye?... turns out I was selected!

Herman Fenton is the vice president of the Federation of Holistic Therapists and a member of the International Council of Health, Fitness and Sports Therapists. Every year Herman takes on a small group of university students to work alongside him, gaining pitch side experience and training in his unique form of therapy. This year he chose Plymouth Marjon University!

I received a phone call from Herman a few days after my application was sent, which involved a brief telephone interview where Herman’s first words were ‘Sell yourself’. A bit of pressure is a good thing, right?

After discussing my brief background in Soft Tissue Therapy, my experience at Uni (so far) and my connections to the Military, I hung up the phone feeling confident that I had sold myself well. Turns out I did, because a few days later, Herman offered me a placement at Birmingham University assisting with an International Fencing Tournament.

On my arrival, it’s safe to say that I was feeling rather anxious. My first experience working pitch side, out of a clinic setting and with complete strangers. There is something about being in the clinic – it’s like a safety blanket. So, there I was, completely out of my comfort zone, not really knowing what to expect.

Thankfully, Herman is a very warm and welcoming character. He sat me down and asked if I was nervous about anything. Honesty is the best policy (so they say). I opted to tell Herman that I was anxious about treating people with the added pressures of timings and being faced with a different environment. He immediately put me to ease. It was then that I knew it would be a good day.
Throughout the following hours, Herman demonstrated and explained a number of different massage techniques, which were ideal for quick fix issues. He demonstrated a range of postures and ‘quick fix’ techniques relevant to pitch side. I was able to work with Herman, hands on with his clients, looking at different manipulations to the body to improve stretching and to release tension and pressure within muscles.

Herman was very thorough with detail and welcomed questions and encouraged me to challenge his ideas. The individuals who were being treated were extremely patient while I tested out new techniques. It was a very relaxed atmosphere, which isn’t what I was expecting, but definitely not complaining about!

When leaving, Herman told me not to hesitate to contact him if I have any questions or require any advice. I feel that I have not only learned some new skills, but I have also gained a connection with a Sports Therapy ‘top dog’


All in a day’s work! 


For more information about our BSc (Hons) Rehabilitation in Sport and Exercise degree or our BSc (Hons) Sports Therapy, please visit our website.

We also have an MSc Sport Rehabilitation available as a pathway into the Profession for Graduate Sport students.


Edited by Sarah Martin, Lecturer in Sports Therapy and Rehabilitation at Plymouth Marjon University; smartin@marjon.ac.uk 

@marjonSPT

No comments:

Post a Comment